Christian Tismer-Sperling writes:

 > I thought this list would always stay intact as an alternatice
 > to the web things. How sad!

The list is alive.  You got an immediate answer, did you not?  It's
just that almost all of the people who are engaged with discussion
every day have found alternative platforms more productive.

Partly because that's where the other discussants are (the network
externality is undeniably powerful), and partly (I believe) because
effective use of email is a skill that requires effort to acquire.
Popular mail clients are designed to be popular, not to make that
expertise easy to acquire and exercise.  Clunky use of email makes
lists much less pleasant for everyone than they could be.

I guess that's sad (I am, after all, a GNU Mailman developer), but
it's reality.

Steve