On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 at 15:24, Stephen J. Turnbull <
turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Partly because that's where the other discussants are (the network
> externality is undeniably powerful), and partly (I believe) because
> effective use of email is a skill that requires effort to acquire.
> Popular mail clients are designed to be popular, not to make that
> expertise easy to acquire and exercise.  Clunky use of email makes
> lists much less pleasant for everyone than they could be.
>
> I guess that's sad (I am, after all, a GNU Mailman developer), but
> it's reality.

Personally, I'm sad because some people whose contributions I enjoy (you
being one of them :-)) didn't move to Discourse. But like you say, it's how
things are.

Christian - you can make named constants using class attributes (or an
enum):

class A:
    M = "M"

match seq:
    case A.M, A.M, A.M, A.M, *r:
        return 4*1000, r

Basically, the "names are treated as variables to assign to" rule doesn't
apply to attributes.

I'm not sure how helpful that is (it's not particularly *shorter*) but I
think the idea was that most uses of named constants in a match statement
would be enums or module attributes. And compromises had to be made.

Cheers,
Paul