Hi Guido,

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 12:34:30PM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> +1, as long as (as you seem to imply) PyDict_GetItem() still swallows
> all exceptions.

Yes.

> Fixing PyDict_GetItem() is a py3k issue, I think. Until then, there
> are way too many uses. I wouldn't be surprised if after INCREF and
> DECREF it's the most commonly used C API method...

Alternatively, we could add a new C API function, and gradually replace
PyDict_GetItem() uses with the the new one.  I can't think of an obvious
name, though...

Maybe code should just start using PyMapping_GetItem() instead.  It's
not incredibly slower than PyDict_GetItem(), at least in the
non-KeyError case.

A bientot,

Armin