On 11 jun 2006, at 12.09, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>
>> With the introduction of the xmlcore package in Python 2.5, should
>> we document
>> xml.etree or xmlcore.etree?  If someone installs PyXML with Python
>> 2.5, I
>> don't think they're going to get xml.etree, which will be really
>> confusing.
>> We can be sure that xmlcore.etree will be there.
>
> I think it would be unfortunate if an external, mostly unmaintained
> package could claim absolute ownership of the xml package root.
>
> how about tweaking the xml loader to map "xml.foo" to "_xmlplus.foo"
> only if that subpackage really exists ?

I'm a bit confused by what the problem is. I though this was all
handled like it should be now.

     >>> import xml.etree
     >>> xml.etree
     <module 'xml.etree' from '.../lib/python2.5/xmlcore/etree/
__init__.pyc'>
     >>> import xml.sax
     >>> xml.sax
     <module 'xml.sax' from '.../lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/
sax/__init__.pyc'>

It picks up modules from both places

//Simon