Sounds like a good plan, though I'm not sure if it's worth doing in
2.6 -- I'd be happy with doing this just in 3k.

I'm not sure what you mean by "adding a method slot" -- certainly it's
possible to define a method __foo__ and call it directly without
having a special tp_foo in the type object, and I recommend doing it
that way since the tp_foo slots are just there to make things fast; in
this case I don't see a need for dir() to be fast.

--Guido