On 2007-11-23 16:59, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>> _ssl
>> ----
>>
>> Christian has been making changes to allow this to build without Perl,
>> so I gave it a try. I used openssl 0.9.8g, which I extracted to the
>> build directory (I noticed afterwards that this is the same version as
>> in Python svn, so I could have used the svn external!)
>>
>> I needed to download nasm (nasm.sf.net) version 2.00rc1, and rename
>> nasm.exe to nasmw.exe and put it on my PATH.
>>
>> Build succeeded, no issues.
>
> You still need Perl if you are using an official download of openssl.
> I've added the pre-build assembly and makefiles in the svn external at
> svn.python.org

Why not include the prebuilt libraries of all external libs in SVN
as well ?

BTW: Are you including the patented algorithms in the standard
OpenSSL build or excluding them ?

The patented ones are RC5, IDEA and MDC2:

http://svn.python.org/view/external/openssl-0.9.8g/README

Here's a previous discussion:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-August/068055.html

Here's what MediaCrypt has to say about requiring a license
for IDEA:

http://www.mediacrypt.com/_contents/20_support/204010_faq_bus.asp

Note that in the case of IDEA, any commercial use will require
getting a license to the patented algorithm first (costs start
at EUR 15 for a single use license).

I'd opt for not including these algorithms, as it's just
too easy for the user to overlook this license requirement.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 23 2007)