On 2008-05-04 21:57, Christian Heimes wrote:
M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
PYTHONPATH is lacking one feature which is important for lots of
packages and setuptools. The directories in PYTHONPATH are just added to
sys.path. But setuptools require a site package directory. Maybe a new
env var PYTHONSITEPATH could solve the problem.
We don't need another setup variable for this. Just place a
well-known module into the site-packages/ directory and then
query it's __file__ attribute, e.g.

site-packages/site_packages.py

The module could even include a few helpers to query various
settings which apply to the site packages directory, e.g.

site_packages.get_dir()
site_packages.list_packages()
site_packages.list_modules()
etc.

I don't see how it is going to solve the use case "Add another site
package directory when I don't have write access to the global site
package directory and I don't want to modify my apps."

No, but it's going to solve the issue "which of the sys.path directories
is to be considered the site packages" directory. I was under the
impression that this is what you were after.

Just in case you don't know...

python setup.py install --home=~

will install to ~/lib/python

The problem is not getting the packages installed in a non-admin
location. It's about Python looking in a non-admin location per
default (as well as in the site-packages location).

I know the --home option. For one the --home option is Unix only and not
supported on Windows Also the --user option takes all options of my PEP
370 user site directory into account, includinge the PYTHONUSERBASE env var.

Ok. Just wanted to mention that there is a precedent in distutils
for doing user home directory installations.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 04 2008)