On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Jesus Cea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could you possibly extend the PEP to also document performance when, for
> instance, passing "big" objects via a queue, or sending "Events" back,
> testing "thread.isAlive()", and stuff like that?. What about mutexes?
> (not to protect shared objects, but files, for example).
>
> A share-nothing without data-passing doesn't need a new module :). I'm
> interesting in an almost direct conversion from thread module, and so
> I'm interested in knowing performance data outside "pyprocessing" sweet
> point (that is, "fire and forget" code, with little communication).
>
> How is implemented "thread.setDaemon()"?.

Alec Thomas sent me a bit of code to benchmark Queue-based object
passing performance which I will incorporate when I get a chance. As
for the provided examples/benchmarks - I can work on adding more, or
if you want - as linked in the PEP, Oudkerk already has some of those
outlined in a benchmark script here:

http://pyprocessing.berlios.de/examples/benchmarks.py

I chose not to recreate his tests directly, rather I chose to link to
them. I will work on adding Queue-based numbers. I also wouldn't say I
picked the "sweet spot" for the module - rather I picked the poor-spot
for the threading module (parallel, python-based crunching).

I do again want to point out that the goal is not to pick on
threading, but to offer an API which mimics the existing threading API
that allows for actual multi-processor/core usage.

-jesse