On 2008-06-03 01:09, Guido van Rossum wrote:
I will freely admit that I haven't followed this thread in any detail,
but if it were up to me, I'd have the 2.6 internal code use PyString
(as both what the linker sees and what the human reads in the source
code) and the 3.0 code use PyBytes for the same thing. Let the merges
be damed -- most changes to 2.6 these days seem to be blocked
explicitly from being merged anyway. I'd prefer the 2.6 code base to
stay true to 2.x, and the 3.0 code base start afresh where it makes
sense. We should reindent more of the 3.0 code base to use
4-space-indents in C code too.

I would also add macros that map the PyBytes_* APIs to PyString_*, but
I would not start using these internally except in code newly written
for 2.6 and intended to be "in the spirit of 3.0". IOW use PyString
for 8-bit strings containing text, and PyBytes for 8-bit strings
containing binary data. For 8-bit strings that could contain either
text or data, I'd use PyString, in the spirit of 2.x.

+1

Let's work on better merge tools that edit the trunk code base
into shape for a 3.x checkin.

Using automated tools for this
is likely going to lower the probability of bugs introduced
due to unnoticed merge conflicts and in the end is also going
to be a benefit to everyone wanting to maintain a single code
base for both targets.

Perhaps we could revive the old Tools/scripts/fixcid.py that was
used for the 1.4->1.5 renaming ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 03 2008)
2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania            33 days to go