Jesse Noller wrote:
Per feedback from Guido, the python-dev list and others, I have sent
in an updated version of PEP 371 - the inclusion of the pyprocessing
module into the standard library.

New highlights:
 * The module will be renamed to "multiprocessing"
 * The API will become PEP 8 compliant

My 2 cents on this: PEP 8 compliance in the multiprocessing API is a good idea, but threading should be updated at the same time to provide PEP 8 compliant aliases for the existing names. Using the old Java-based names should provoke a Py3k warning in 2.6 (note: to avoid a runtime performance hit when not using -3, the actual function definitions should be made conditional, rather than checking whether or not to emit the warning every time the legacy API is invoked)

The PyGILState_* bug in debug builds that RMO pointed out should also be mentioned in the PEP as something that needs to be fixed in order to implement the PEP.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue1683

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia