* Matt Giuca wrote:

> > This whole discussion circles too much, I think. Maybe it should be
> > pepped?
>
> The issue isn't circular. It's been patched and tested, then a whole lot
> of people agreed including Guido. Then you and Bill wanted the bytes
> functionality back. So I wrote that in there too, and Bill at least said
> that was sufficient.
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > But:  OK, OK, I yield.  Though I still think this is a bad idea, I'll
> > shut up if we can also add "unquote_as_bytes" which returns a byte
> > sequence instead of a string.  I'll just change my code to use that.
>
> We've reached, to quote Guido, "as close as consensus as we can get on
> this issue".

There are a lot of quotes around. Including "After the most recent flurry of
discussion I've lost track of what's the right thing to do."
But I don't talk for other people.

> There is a bug in Python. I've proposed a working fix, and nobody else
> has.

Well, you proposed a patch ;-)
It may fix things, it will break a lot. While this was denied over and over
again, it's still gonna happen, because the axioms are still not accounting
for the reality.

> I made all the changes the community suggested.

I don't think so.

> What more needs to be discussed here?

Huh? You feel, the discussion is over? Then why are there still open
questions? I admit, a lot of discussion is triggered by the assessments
you're stating in your posts. Don't take it as a personal offense, it's a
simple observation. There were made a lot of statements and nobody even
bothered to substantiate them. A PEP could fix that.

But it's a lost issue now. Nobody comes up with an alternative (for various
reasons, I suppose). So go ahead, EOD from my side.

nd