Bill Janssen wrote:
I strongly recommend that we *NOT* make macports.org the main,
official Mac OS X version of Python. Secondary is fine, but not
primary. Macports is what the name says: it's a system of Mac ports of
Linux packages, mostly command-line only.

I agree with David about this.

The official Mac Python should be an OS X application, with an icon,
living in /Applications, ideally with a Mac-standard editor app  (the
2.5.1 I have has IDLE), etc.

No, probably not.  Frankly, I think the official Mac Python should be
(and is) /usr/bin/python, the version that Apple ships with the
system.  I always try to make my stuff work with that Python, instead
of installing a different version, which in my experience usually
leads to grief somewhere down the road.

I've certainly heard many tales of Mac users coming to grief because they decided to overwrite their system Python, or tried to be clever and run multiple interpreters (which is usually somewhat less disastrous).

I guess this underlines the fact that Apple don't really want the hoi polloi tinkering with their systems; it's somewhat tedious when code is released for later Python versions and you have to privately backport, though, isn't it?

There have been hints dropped that if the 2.6 release hits its deadline it will be incorporated into vendor builds. Let's hope one of them is MacOS, then at least it'll be relatively up to date.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119