On Apr 9, 2009, at 11:11 PM, gl...@divmod.com wrote:

I think this is a problematic way to model bytes vs. text; it gives text a special relationship to bytes which should be avoided.

IMHO the right way to think about domains like this is a multi-level representation. The "low level" representation is always bytes, whether your MIME type is text/whatever or application/x-i-dont-know.

This is a really good point, and I really should be clearer when describing my current thinking (sleep would help :).

The thing that's "special" about text is that it's a "high level" representation that the standard library can know about. But the 'email' package ought to support being extended to support other types just as well. For example, I want to ask for image/png content as PIL.Image objects, not bags of bytes. Of course this presupposes some way for PIL itself to get at some bytes, but then you need the email module itself to get at the bytes to convert to text in much the same way. There also needs to be layering at the level of bytes->base64->some different bytes->PIL->Image. There are mail clients that will base64-encode unusual encodings so you have to do that same layering for text sometimes.

I'm also being somewhat handwavy with talk of "low" and "high" level representations; of course there are actually multiple levels beyond that. I might want text/x-python content to show up as an AST, but the intermediate DOM-parsing representation really wants to operate on characters. Similarly for a DOM and text/html content. (Modulo the usual encoding-detection weirdness present in parsers.)

When I was talking about supporting text/* content types as strings, I was definitely thinking about using basically the same plug-in or higher level or whatever API to do that as you might use to get PIL images from an image/gif.

So, as long as there's a crisp definition of what layer of the MIME stack one is operating on, I don't think that there's really any ambiguity at all about what type you should be getting.

In that case, we really need the bytes-in-bytes-out-bytes-in-the-chewy- center API first, and build things on top of that.

-Barry