On Apr 9, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Steve Holden wrote:

PostgreSQL strongly encourages you to store text as encoded columns.
Because emails lack an encoding it turns out this is a most inconvenient storage type for it. Sadly BLOBs are such a pain in PostgreSQL that it's
easier to store the messages in external files and just use the
relational database to index those files to retrieve content, so that's
what I ended up doing.

That's not insane for other reasons. Do you really want to store 10MB of mp3 data in your database?

Which of course reminds me that I want to add an interface, probably to the parser and message class, to allow an application to store message payloads in other than memory. Parsing and holding onto messages with huge payloads can kill some applications, when you might not care too much about the actual payload content.

Barry