P.J. Eby wrote:
At 06:15 PM 4/15/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
The much more common use case is that of wanting to have a base package
installation which optional add-ons that live in the same logical
package namespace.

Please see the large number of Zope and PEAK distributions on PyPI as minimal examples that disprove this being the common use case.

If you mean "the common use case as opposed to having code in the __init__.py of the namespace package", I think you'll find that's because people (especially me!) don't know how to do this, not because we don't want to!

Chris - who would actually like to know how to do this, with or without the PEP, and how to indicate interdependencies in situations like this to setuptools...

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk