On 05:19 pm, gu...@python.org wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Neil Schemenauer <n...@arctrix.com> wrote:
Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
It would be really nice if say the Cheeseshop had a voting feature.
Use PEP 10 voting to get a rough estimate of a module's popularity
(download counts alone might not tell you everything). �Then at least
you can get a rough idea of how generally popular a module is in the
wider community. �Also, a module should have to live on its own two
feet for while on Cheeseshop before being considered for inclusion in
the stdlib.

Better yet would be something like Debian's popularity-contest
mechanism (it provides opt-in voting of packages based on what is
installed on your machine). �popularity-contest runs from a cron
job. �Maybe when Python is installed it could ask if you want to
submit package statistics. �If so, installing a package with
distutils would submit the name and version number to a central
server.

If we knew which batteries were most popular we could make sure they
are included in the package. ;-)

Whoa. Are you all suddenly trying to turn Python into a democracy? I'm
outta here if that ever happens (even if I were voted BDFL by a
majority :-).

I'm sure that what Barry and Neil are recommending is the same as what I did later: a way to give our most beloved regent accurate data on the populace's current mood.

Certainly we wouldn't be discussing our plans for a democratic coup out in the open like this! Clearly, that would be foolish ;-).