David Lyon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:49:16 +0200, "M.-A. Lemburg" <m...@egenix.com> wrote:
>
>> While it's a good idea to put up some form of meta-data
>> into an index, I wonder why you are using setup.cfg
>> for this.
>>
>> setup.cfg has traditionally been used to configure distutils,
>> not to define meta-data. As such you wouldn't want to
>> put such a configuration file up on PyPI.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better use a new file for this (with the
>> same syntax), e.g. metadata.cfg ?! This would then just
>> contain the meta data that needs to be published.
>
> Forgive me if I answer this from being on the distutils-ml
> but it is easy to answer and might save somebody else time.
>
> Currently, the metadata is stored within setup.py and the
> biggest issue with that is maintaining the version number.
> For instance, getting the same version number to go into the
> documentation files, etc. So consensus was that keeping that
> information in setup.py is somewhat cumbersome and putting
> it somewhere else would be better. Tarek suggested setup.cfg
> and it seems to make the most sense.

So the idea is to make the setup() parameters settable via
the setup.cfg as well ?! (+1 on that) Or are you suggesting
that the setup.cfg file be the *only* place to set the version
number ? (I'd be -1 on that, because you often need to determine the
version number dynamically, e.g. when doing snapshot releases)

In my experience, it's usually better to place all the
setup() keyword parameters into a separate module
which can then be loaded by other tools as well - see e.g.
egenix-mx-base for what I mean:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/#Download

The setup.py module itself then just loads this configuration
module and uses the values from it to fire off distutils.

> By moving the metadata values into a configParser format file,
> it would mean that external scripts could more easily
> access/update the version number as required.
>
> Of course, setup.cfg wouldn't get uploaded. Nobody would
> want to do that.
>
> But distutils would create the .PKG_INFO file and metadata
> from configuration, and not from hardcoded string values
> within setup.py as it does now.

I lost you there... if you have the setup.py file available,
where is the problem in running "python setup.py somecommand"
to extract the metadata into some other file ?

As far as I understood Tarek's summary, the idea was to
have a separate file with just the metadata to upload
to PyPI in order to have tools working on the PyPI
index extract that metadata without having to download
the whole installation package.

That's a very good idea.

The only problem I saw was the name of the file that Tarek
chose and whether or not he was actually referring to the
setup.cfg used for configuring distutils or not.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 24 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/