On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Ben Finney
[..]

> Yes, I'm referring to the discussion that were had over “why do we want
> special keywords that mess with the default alphanumerical ordering of
> version string components?” discussion.
>
> That needs to be addressed in the PEP, since it's germane to the
> explanation for the PEP's existence.

I've started to add another section in the PEP to summarize this
discussion but then I realized that we are already giving the answer
in the PEP in the  "Requisites and current status"

I made it clearer though, by adding an extra sentence with an example.

Requesite #2 :
"""
2. most projects need special meaning versions for "pre-releases" (such as
   "alpha", "beta", "rc"), and these have widely used aliases ("a" stands
   for "alpha", "b" for "beta" and "c" for "rc"). And these pre-release
   versions makes it impossible to use a simple alphanumerical ordering
   of the version string components. (Example: 3.1a1 < 3.1)
"""

Let me know if you think this is enough and addresses your concern,

Regards
Tarek