On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

> Eric's suggestion of NormalizedVersion sounds best to me - it exactly
> describes the intended role of the class.

Done. Steve Steiner added a nice functional test that tries the scheme
on *all* pypi versions:

MacZiade:distutilsver tarek$ nosetests -s .
Results:
--------
Total Packages  :  8654
Already Match   :  7604.0 (87.87%)
Have Suggestion :  624.0 (7.21%)
No Suggestion   :  426.0 (4.92%)
Ran 6 tests in 0.463s

OK

IOW, the current scheme works as-is for 88% of the packages, and is
able to transform
7% of the remainings. The 5% that are not workable are mostly packages
with versions
like : (extracts)

- .000001
- working proof of concept
- release candidate 3
- 1.0dev-BZR-r42-panta-elasticworld.org-20091021153851-6ijlut5dkxndxw1h
- beta pre csound
- etc..

Furthermore, I've seen some patterns in those 5% that can be worked
out so I'll probably be able to lower it to 3%

Tarek