On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Michael Foord
>> On 14/12/2009 19:04, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>> Another thing I just noticed is that argparse using -v for version
>>> where optparse does not (it only adds --version); most of my scripts
>>> that use -v to mean --verbose, causing problems.  Since this is a poll
>>> question on the argparse site I assume this is an outstanding question
>>
>> I also use -v for verbose in a few scripts (including options to unittest
>> when run with python -m). I've seen -V as a common abbreviation for
>> --version (I've just used this with Mono for example).
>
> Many Unix commands accept these switches too . AFAICR there was an
> standard (well ...) set of command line options for Unix systems
> (can't find a link :-/ )

Just to be clear, argparse doesn't force you to use -v/--version.
That's just the default if you specify the version= argument to the
ArgumentParser constructor. You can configure version flags much more
flexibly using add_argument(..., action='version').

But yes, it's a poll right now on the argparse website
(http://code.google.com/p/argparse/) and if you feel strongly about
it, please add your vote there (rather than here).

Steve
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?