Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen <at> xemacs.org> writes:

> That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Very few practical
> applications that care about the input encoding are going to be
> willing to accept an output encoding that doesn't correspond to the
> input encoding in an appropriate way.

Perhaps you are speaking with your emacs hat, where the purpose is to output to
the same file that serves as input. But most applications do not work in that
manner. They take some input and optionally produce an output in an entirely
different format (an other file format, or some database requests, or some
visual feedback, etc.). Therefore both "encodings" are decorrelated.

If I'm reading a configuration file the encoding of the configuration file will
not decide which charset my dynamic HTML pages are using.

Regards

Antoine.