On 1/31/2010 8:34 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
Georg Brandl wrote:
+1.  Having a single (visible) __pyr__ directory is much less clutter than
multiple .pyc files anyway.  Also, don't forget Windows users, for whom
the dot convention doesn't mean anything.

I must admit I quite like the __pyr__ directory approach as well. Since
the interpreter knows the suffix it is looking for, names shouldn't
conflict. Using a single directory allows the name to be less cryptic,
too (e.g. __pycache__).

Please spell it out. Possible future doc. "When CPython executes or imports a .py file with Python source code, it caches internal compiled versions in a '__pycache__' subdirectory for possible future use."

tjr