> On 03/02/2010 06:50, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> As to the question of sibling directories or folder-per-folder I think
>> performance issues should be the deciding factor.  There are file system
>> limitations to consider (but also a wide variety of file systems in
>> use).  Do
>> the number of stat calls predominate the performance costs?  Maybe it
>> makes
>> sense to implement the two different approaches and do some measurements.

How about using an optionally relative cache dir setting to let
the user decide ?

import imp, os

# Get cache dir, default to module_dir
cache_dir = os.environ.get('PYTHONCACHEDIR', '.')

# Get names and versions
module_cache_type = 'pyc'
module_cache_version = imp.get_magic().encode('hex')
module_name = module.__name__
module_cache_file = '%s.%s.%s' % (module_name, module_cache_version,
module_cache_type)
module_dir = os.path.split(module.__file__)[0]

# Determine cache dir and cache file pathname
module_cache_dir = os.path.abspath(os.path.join(module_dir, cache_dir))
module_cache_pathname = os.path.join(module_cache_dir, module_cache_file)

# Write PYC data to module_cache_pathname

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 03 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/