Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On the issue of __file__, I'd suggesting not being too hasty in
>> deprecating that in favour of __source__. While I can see a lot of value
>> in having it point to the source file more often with a different
>> attribute that points to the cached file, I don't see a lot of gain to
>> compensate for the pain of changing the name of __file__ itself.
>
> Can you clarify? In Python 3, __file__ always points to the source.
> Clearly that is the way of the future. For 99.99% of uses of __file__,
> if it suddenly never pointed to a .pyc file any more (even if one
> existed) that would be just fine. So what's this talk of switching to
> __source__?

I originally proposed it, not knowing that Python 3 already changed the
meaning of __file__ for byte code files.

What I really wanted to suggest is that it should be possible to tell
what gets really executed, plus what source file had been considered.

So if __file__ is always the source file, a second attribute should tell
whether a byte code file got read (so that you can delete that in case
you doubt it's current, for example).

Regards,
Martin