Hi Craig,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Craig Citro <craigci...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Done. The diff is at
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/186247/diff2/5014:8003/7002. I listed
>> Cython, Shedskin and a bunch of other alternatives to pure CPython.
>> Some of that information is based on conversations I've had with the
>> respective developers, and I'd appreciate corrections if I'm out of
>> date.
>>

> Well, it's a minor nit, but it might be more fair to say something
> like "Cython provides the biggest improvements once type annotations
> are added to the code." After all, Cython is more than happy to take
> arbitrary Python code as input -- it's just much more effective when
> it knows something about types. The code to make Cython handle
> closures has just been merged ... hopefully support for the full
> Python language isn't so far off. (Let me know if you want me to
> actually make a comment on Rietveld ...)

Indeed, you're quite right. I've corrected the description here:
http://codereview.appspot.com/186247/diff2/7005:9001/10001

> Now what's more interesting is whether or not U-S and Cython could
> play off one another -- take a Python program, run it with some
> "generic input data" under Unladen and record info about which
> functions are hot, and what types they tend to take, then let
> Cython/gcc -O3 have a go at these, and lather, rinse, repeat ... JIT
> compilation and static compilation obviously serve different purposes,
> but I'm curious if there aren't other interesting ways to take
> advantage of both.

Definitely! Someone approached me about possibly reusing the profile
data for a feedback-enhanced code coverage tool, which has interesting
potential, too. I've added a note about this under the "Future Work"
section: http://codereview.appspot.com/186247/diff2/9001:10002/9003

Thanks,
Collin Winter