Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Mar 22, 2010, at 02:02 PM, Ron Adam wrote:

If I understand correctly, we would have the current mode as the default, and
can trigger __pycache__ behavior simply by manually creating a __pycache__
directory and deleting any byte-code files in the module/program directory.

I like this, it is easy to understand and can be used without messing with flags or environment variables.

Well, for a package with subpackages, it gets more complicated.  Definitely
not something you're likely to do manually.  Antoine's suggestion of 'python
-m compileall --pycache' would work, but I think it's also obscure enough that
most Python users won't get the benefit.

May be a bit more complicated, but it should be easy to write tools to handle the repetitive stuff.

When I'm writing python projects I usually only work on one or two packages at a time at most. Creating a couple of directories when I first get started on a project is nothing compared with the other 10 or more files of > 1,000 lines of code each. This has a very low mental hurdle too.

All the other packages I'm importing would probably already be preinstalled complete with __pycache__ directories and bytecode files. As Antoine was suggesting that it would be up to the installer's (scrips) to create the __pycache__ directories at install time, either directly or by possibly issuing a 'python -m compileall --pycache' command?

Ron