On Mar 23, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

>If .pyc files are to be shared, it seems essential to (by default)
>generate them at install time and make them read-only for unprivileged
>users.

I think in practice this is what's almost always going to happen for system
Python source, either via your distribution's installer or distutils.  I think
most on-demand creation of pyc files will be when you're developing your own
code.  I don't want to have to run a separate step to get the benefit of
__pycache__, but I admit it's outside the scope of the PEP's original
intention.  I leave it to the BDFL.

-Barry