Le mardi 23 mars 2010 à 20:50 -0400, Isaac Morland a écrit :

> I'm sure Greg will jump in if I'm wrong about what he is saying, but the
> benefit to me and to Greg and to others writing .py code is that our
> directories will contain *.py and __pycache__, rather than *.py and *.pyc.
> So it will be much easier to see what is actually there.

I don't really get it. I have never had any problem to see "what is
actually here" in a Python source directory, despite the presence of pyc
files.

> Or if we're using SVN and we do "svn status", the only spurious result
> will be "? __pycache__" rather than "? X.pyc" for every X.py in the
> directory.

Well, I was assuming that everyone had been using svn:ignore,
or .hgignore, for years.
Similarly, you will configure svn, hg, or any other system, to ignore
__pycache__ directories (or .pyc files) so that they don't appear in
"svn status".

> Directory tidiness is a positive general feature with at least a few
> specific benefits.

It's still mostly cosmetic and I don't think it's as serious as any
positive or negative system administration effects the change may have.