>> Guido van Rossum, 16.04.2010 16:33:
>>>
>>> I am fine with
>>> declaring dict({}, **{1:3}) illegal, since after all it is abuse of
>>> the ** mechanism.

ISTM that making it illegal costs cycles with giving any real benefit.
It is reasonably common to accept **kwds and then pass it down
to another function.  Do we want to validate the keys of every
kwds dict on every call?  Why do we even care?

If I'm understanding the proposal correctly, it means that
every existing application using **kwds will pay a price, either
by breaking (because it uses non-string keys) or by running
slower (so that every call can be checked to make sure it
didn't use string keys).

Raymond