Tangengially relevant is the following:  When embedding python, it is currently
impossible (well, in 2.x anyway) to completely override pythons magic
path-guessing algorithm.  This is annoying.  Last pycon, the talk on embedding
python, showed how applications that do that often get started through
bootstrapping batch scripts that set up the environment for python, to guide
the path-setting algorithm along.

At CCP, we have patched python so that we can specify an initial sys.path, and
completely disable the path guessing algorithm.  This is necessary because
python is _embedded_ and it is the embedding application that knows where it is
allowed to look for libraries.  This is in addition to telling it to ignore the
environment.

In fact, it is my opinion that the path init stuff, as well as command line
parsing and so on, really belongs in python.exe and not in python25.lib,
although one can argue for the convenience of keeping it in the .lib.  But
IMHO, it should not be part of Py_Initialize.

Perhaps I'll submit this particular patch to the tracker one day.