On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:01:08 am Laurens Van Houtven wrote:

> I think doing unicode/str properly in 2.x is very important, #python
> stresses it quite often, I think Py3k's strictness is a good idea
> because people very often write something that appears to work for a
> long time, and then someone tries it using funny bytes, and
> everything blows apart. Convincing people their software is wrong
> when "everything worked five minutes ago" is really hard :-)

Worse is when you have people who, when faced with their software
failing to handle filenames containing non-ASCII characters ("those
funny letters"), insist that the problem is the user for giving
non-ASCII characters. Even when they're in the user's native
(non-Latin) language. Even when the OS supports them.

Gah.

--
Steven D'Aprano