On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> That's the point: selling, and commercial activity in general, is
> explicitly encouraged and permission granted by the GPL. Too many people
> speak as though it were otherwise. To those who do: Please stop.

Please, GPL advocates also spread their own type of FUD, claiming
"free as in speech ain't the same thing as free as in beer, people!".
While true, the bottom line is that Python being BSD-type enables me
to make money with it that I wouldn't make if Python was GPL-type.
Moreover, I don't think that GPL license allows money-making that BSD
type wouldn't allow. Hence the common point of view saying "BSD-type
is more commercial-friendly than GPL".

I've written an article last year that, while it doesn't address this
issue specifically, it touches it.

http://www.hardcoded.net/articles/going_open_source.htm

Virgil Dupras