Yes. The BSD license on FreeBSD has allowed Apple to
make MacOS X a completely proprietary product.  The BSD
license allows you to take and never release your mods.  It
has very little to do with money, IMO.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Nir Aides <n...@winpdb.org> writes:
>
>> I take "...running off with the good stuff and selling it for profit" to
>> mean "creating derivative work and commercializing it as proprietary code"
>> which you can not do with GPL licensed code.
>
> It's the “proprietary“ which is the distinguishing criterion there. The
> “selling” and “commercial” is totally orthogonal to that.
>
> That's the point: selling, and commercial activity in general, is
> explicitly encouraged and permission granted by the GPL. Too many people
> speak as though it were otherwise. To those who do: Please stop.
>
> --
>  \       “Following fashion and the status quo is easy. Thinking about |
>  `\        your users' lives and creating something practical is much |
> _o__)                                harder.” —Ryan Singer, 2008-07-09 |
> Ben Finney

---
NOTE: If it is important CALL ME - I may miss email,
which I do NOT normally check on weekends nor on
a regular basis during any other day.
---
LD Landis - N0YRQ - de la tierra del encanto
3960 Schooner Loop, Las Cruces, NM 88012
575-448-1763  N32 21'48.28" W106 46'5.80"