On 7/11/2010 2:40 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

Guido
There clearly are *some* folks who care enough about IDLE to submit
bug reports and fixes. How about we empower these people by giving at
least one of them commit privileges? IDLE development has often been
done by people who aren't otherwise contributing to the core, and we
surely should trust those folks with commit privileges.

It appears Guiherme Polo already has commit privileges and just needs help exercising them, which I have offered, along with Martin's encouragement. Multiple IDLE maintainers would be even better.

Mark Lawrence
Can I take a really big liberty and volunteer Terry Reedy for the job.

Thank you for the nomination.

If Terry would volunteer himself, he'd get commit access in no time.

What I specifically want right now is Commit Authorization Privilege, especially for IDLE, but in general would be fine. I am thinking about working working one or more 'beginners' who are 'shy' about acting independently, or who are not yet authorized to do so, and who would like help getting their feet 'wet', so to speak. I think I would enjoy this sort of pair development.

In regard to IDLE, who, short of Guido, is in charge? Is there a design doc? It appears that several people have ideas in their heads, such as 'keep it simple'. Abstractly, I agree with that, but who decides what is simple, to the point of vetoing something as 'too complex'?

--
Terry Jan Reedy