This regards the following feature request.

    http://bugs.python.org/issue2001

Summery:

The pydoc "gui" enhancement patch adds a navigation bar on each page with features that correspond to abilities that are currently available to help. ie.. a get field, to get help on an item, a find field, to search for modules by keyword, plus modules, topics, and keyword index links.

The file links read the python file in as text and inserts it into a web page instead of relying on the browser to do the right thing. (often enough it doesn't)

To achieve this I reworked the existing pydoc server into one that can respond to a navigation bar at the top of the served pages. The new "local_text_server" will exist in the http package where the other server related modules are. The callback function passed to the server does all the pydoc specific work so the server itself is a simple general purpose text server useful for making browser interface front ends.

This also removed the need for tkinter in pydoc and allows pydoc -g to work on computers where tk isn't installed.

As per discussion on the tracker:

Alexander Belopolsky <belopol...@users.sourceforge.net> added the comment:

+:program:`pydoc` :option:`-g` will start the server and additionally open a web
+browser to a module index page.  Each served page has a navagation bar at the
+top where you can 'get' help on a individual item, 'find' all modules with a
+keyword in thier synopsis line, and goto indexes for 'modules', 'topics' and
+'keywords'.

I am not sure I like the fact that the browser is started automatically.
Please bring this up on python-dev.  This may be an opportunity to
rethink pydoc command line switches.  For example, -p and -g are
currently exclusive, but it would make sense for -g to start server on
the port specified by -p.

So are any thoughts on starting the web browser automatically, and on how the -g and -p command line switches work?

I'm also not sure about the name for the server. I've use local_text_server, but it may also be useful in non-local cases as well.

The newest patch is...

     http://bugs.python.org/file18165/pydoc_server3.diff

Any feedback will be welcome.

Ron