On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Ron Adam <r...@ronadam.com> wrote:
>> I am not sure I like the fact that the browser is started automatically.
>> Please bring this up on python-dev.  This may be an opportunity to
>> rethink pydoc command line switches.  For example, -p and -g are
>> currently exclusive, but it would make sense for -g to start server on
>> the port specified by -p.
>
> So are any thoughts on starting the web browser automatically, and on how
> the -g and -p command line switches work?

My suggestion:

- leave the "-g" option alone (including the tk gui), but make sure
other options still work when tk is unavailable
- add a "-b" option to start the server and open the webbrowser automatically
- allow "-p" to be combined with either "-b" or "-g" to specify where
the server should run (or is running)

For the "-b" option, if the server is already running (and hence the
port is in use), catch the exception, print a message and start the
webbrowser anyway.

Cheers,
Nick.

--