On 11/08/2010 16:22, Éric Araujo wrote:
Hello list

Tarek opened a distutils bugs in http://bugs.python.org/issue7175 that
evolved into a discussion about the proper location to use for config files.

Distutils uses [.]pydistutils.cfg and .pypirc, and now unittest2 has a
config file too.

IDLE has a config directory too - currently .idlerc in ~ (on Mac OS X at any rate).

Michael

It would be nice to define one standard location for config files used
by stdlib modules, and maybe also by third-party programs related
closely to Python development (testing tools, static code checkers and
the like), in a way that doesn’t clutter the user home directory with a
dozen dotfiles while still being easily found.

(The Unix notions of dotfiles and home directory have to be adapted to
use non-dotfiles in some standard place on various Windows. The Mac
experts disagree on the right directory to use.)

Tarek, Antoine, RDM, MAL were +1 on using ~/.python (whether to use
.pythonx.y or .python/x.y is a subissue to discuss after general agreement).

What do you think about this?

Regards

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of
your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any
and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap,
clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and
acceptable use policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without
prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you
have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your
employer.