On 9/16/2010 3:07 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:

On 16 September 2010 07:16, Terry Reedy<tjre...@udel.edu>  wrote:
I'm not working to get Django running on Python 3.1 because I don't
feel confident I'll be able to put any apps I write into production.

Why not? Since the I/O speed problem is fixed, I have no idea what you are
referring to.  Please do be concrete.

Deploying web apps under Python 2 right now is actually pretty
awesome. ...

And will remain so for years.

The key here is that switching between all of these deployment
situations is *incredibly* easy. ...

Python 3 offers me none of this. I don't have a wide variety of tools
to choose from. Worse, I don't even have a guarantee of
interoperability between the tools that *do* exist.

That last needs an updated standard, which may require a bit of nudging to get agreement on *something*, along with an updated reference implementation. I would expect a usable variety of production implementations to gradually follow thereafter, as they have for 2.x.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a complainer here.

No. You answered my question quite well.

--
Terry Jan Reedy