On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:16:52 -0400
Jack Diederich <jackd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > I'm rather sad to have been sacked, but such is life.  I won't be doing any
> > more work on the bug tracker for obvious reasons, but hope that you who have
> > managed to keep your voluntary jobs manage to keep Python going.
>
> Umm, what?  You mean http://bugs.python.org/issue2180  ?
>
> """ Mark, please stop closing these based on age.
> The needs to be a determination whether this
> is a valid bug.  If so, then a patch is needed.
> If not, it can be closed."""
>
> Am I missing something?

Simply, situations like the above (Mark closing a bug just because
nobody would answer his message on a short delay) have happened
multiple times - despite people opposing, obviously -, and we decided
that it was better to remove his tracker privileges since his
contribution has not really been productive for us.

There was a whole python-dev thread some time (weeks? months?) ago where
several of us already tried to suggest more fruitful ways of
contributing, suggestions which weren't received very welcomingly AFAIR.

Now I understand that opinions over this may vary and involve multiple
factors, but I would suggest that at least a bit of mentoring is needed
if we want to give privileges early on.
(and the amount of mentoring needed can vary wildly from one person to
another)

Regards

Antoine.