Guido van Rossum writes:

 > I would recommend that in the future more attention is paid to
 > "documenting" publicly that someone's being booted out was
 > inevitable, by an exchange of messages on python-dev (or
 > python-committers if we want to limit distribution).  And no, I
 > don't think that IRC (where I suspect this happened) is sufficient.

+1 on explaining "what" and "why" where the committers can see it, and
+1 on limiting distribution.

The one time I lifted someone's privileges that's the way I did it (by
luck, mostly).  In hindsight, the fact that it was all done in plain
sight of the committers made it easy for us to put the incident behind
us.  The fact that it was only visible to the committers made it
easier mend the relationship later.