On 30/11/2010 16:40, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
[snip...]
And of course,

unicodedata.digit('\U0001D7CE')
0

but

int('\U0001D7CE')
..
UnicodeEncodeError: 'decimal' codec can't encode character '\ud835' ..

on a narrow Unicode build.  (Note the character reported in the error message!)

If you think non-ASCII digits are not difficult to support, please
contribute to the following tracker issues:

Would moving this functionality to the locale module make the issues any easier to fix?

Michael

http://bugs.python.org/issue10581
(Review and document string format accepted in numeric data type constructors)

http://bugs.python.org/issue10557
(Malformed error message from float())

http://bugs.python.org/issue10435
(Document unicode C-API in reST - Specifically, PyUnicode_EncodeDecimal)

http://bugs.python.org/issue8646
(PyUnicode_EncodeDecimal is undocumented)

http://bugs.python.org/issue6632
(Include more fullwidth chars in the decimal codec)

and back to the issue of user confusion

http://bugs.python.org/issue652104 [closed/invalid]
(int(u"\u1234") raises UnicodeEncodeError by Guido van Rossum)

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.