Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Then these users should speak up and indicate their need, or somebody
should speak up and confirm that there are users who actually want
'١٢٣٤.٥٦' to denote 1234.56. To my knowledge, there is no writing
system in which '١٢٣٤.٥٦e4' means 12345600.0.
I'm not sure what you're after here.

That the current float() constructor accepts tons of bogus character
strings and accepts them as numbers, and that it should stop doing so.

What bogus characters do the float() and int() constructors accept? As far as I can see, they only accepts numerals.

[...]
Notice that Python does *not* currently support printing numbers in
other scripts - even though this may actually be more useful than
parsing.

Lack of one function, even if more useful, does not imply that an existing function should be removed.

[...]
In the case of number parsing, I think Python would be better if
float() rejected non-ASCII strings, and any support for such parsing
should be redone correctly in a different place (preferably along with
printing of numbers).

So your problems with the current behaviour are:

(1) in some unspecified way, it's not done correctly;

(2) it belongs somewhere other than float() and int().

That second is awfully close to bike-shedding. Since you accept that Python *should* have the current behaviour, and Python *already* has the current behaviour, it seems strange that you are kicking up such a fuss merely to *move* the implementation of that behaviour out of the numeric constructors into some unspecified "different place".

I think it would be constructive to explain:

- how the current behaviour is incorrect;
- your suggestions for correcting it; and
- a concrete suggestion for where you would like to see the behaviour moved to, and why that would be better than where it currently is.

--
Steven