> If NFSv3 doesn't reencode filenames for each client and the clients
> don't reencode filenames, all clients have to use the same locale
> encoding than the server. Otherwise, I don't see how it can work.

In practice, users accept that they get mojibake - their editors can
still open the files, and they can double-click them in a file browser
just fine. So it doesn't really need to work, and users can still use
it.

> Again, I don't think that Python should do anything special to
> workaround these issues.

I agree, and I'm certainly in favor of keeping the current code base.
Just make sure you understand the reasoning of those opposing.

Regards,
Martin