Hi

I have previously asked this question in python-list, however I think it
belongs here.

I'm running python 2.7.1 on an embedded Linux board and noticed it takes 1.8
seconds to execute the most simple "Hello World" script.

Platform:
cpu: 200Mhz ARM (ARM926EJ-)
kernel: 2.6.38
uClibc: 0.92.1-rc2

Using strace I found that python is attempting to open 168 non-existent
files during startup, see trace:
http://www.veritrack.co.uk/static/images/strace-hello-py.txt

I think this is normal behavior but more noticeable due to the embedded
environment.

1. Is there anything I can do at compile time to tell Python these files
don't exist and avoid trying to open them?
2. Is it possible to make python first try and open the ".pyc" and only then
look for ".py" ?

[root@vx-200 /]# cat hello.py
#!/usr/bin/python

print "Hello World!!"