bruce bushby, 24.03.2011 16:58:
My main concern was that a freshly compiled Python attempts to open 168
non-existent files before starting.

I understand that an interpreted language is probably not the best choice
for an embedded device

Well, "hello world" isn't exactly the benchmark I'd use for an embedded system.

On my desktop pc, when I run the most simple "Hello World" .... 78% of the
overall execution time is spent opening files....most of which don't exist.

How did you measure that?

I'd expect that after the first startup, most of the relevant parts of the file system are cached by the OS, so a subsequent run should be quick as all file existence tests will run from memory. Sure, it's a bit of overhead to call into the OS, and I don't know how expensive that is on ARM-Linux, but given that you also claim it to be expensive on your desktop, I must say that I'm a bit surprised about your above claim.

Stefan