"Martin v. Löwis", 08.10.2011 16:54:
In benchmarking PEP 393, I noticed that many UTF-8 decode
calls originate from C code with static strings, in particular
PyObject_CallMethod. Many of such calls already have been optimized
to cache a string object, however, PyObject_CallMethod remains
unoptimized since it requires a char*.

Yes, I noticed that in Cython, too. We often use PyObject_CallMethod() as a fallback for optimistically optimised method calls when the expected fast path does not hit, and it always bugged me that this needs to generate a Python string on each call in order to look up the method.

I propose to add an explicit API to deal with such identifiers.
With this API,

tmp = PyObject_CallMethod(result, "update", "O", other);

would be replaced with

PyObject *tmp;
Py_identifier(update);
tmp = PyObject_CallMethodId(result, &PyId_update, "O", other);

Py_identifier expands to a struct

typedef struct Py_Identifier {
struct Py_Identifier *next;
const char* string;
PyObject *object;
} Py_Identifier;

string will be initialized by the compiler, next and object on
first use.

As I understand it, the macro expands to both the ID variable declaration and the init-at-first-call code, right? This is problematic when more than one identifier is used, as some C compilers strictly require declarations to be written *before* any other code. I'm not sure how often users will need more than one identifier in a function, but if it's not too hard to come up with a way that avoids this problem all together, it would be better to do so right from the start.

Also note that existing code needs to be changed in order to take advantage of this. It might be possible to optimise PyObject_CallMethod() internally by making the lookup either reuse a number of cached Python strings, or by supporting a lookup of char* values in a dict *somehow*. However, this appears to be substantially more involved than just moving a smaller burden on the users.

Stefan