Py_CONST_STRING or Py_IDENTIFIER would be fine with me.  Given that
everything else uses "Id" in their name, Py_IDENTIFIER is probably better?

I agree that either is fine, with a slight preference for Py_IDENTIFIER for
the same reasons.

Ok, so it's Py_IDENTIFIER.

So I think it needs a prefix. If you don't like PyId_, let me know
what the prefix should be instead.

I agree with that.

I'm fine with that too, as long as it's all well-documented in the C API
guide.

Hmm. People voted that this should be an internal API, so I'm not sure it should be documented at all outside of the header file, or if, in
what document.

Currently, this very point is documented in the header file.

Regards,
Martin