On Nov 22, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:

> 2011/11/22 Philip Jenvey <pjen...@underboss.org>
> One reason to target 3.2 for now is it's not a moving target. There's
> overhead involved in managing modifications to the pure python standard lib
> needed for PyPy, tracking 3.3 changes as they happen as well exacerbates this.
>
> The plans to split the standard lib into its own repo separate from core
> CPython will of course help alternative implementations here.
>
> I don't see how it would help here.
> Copying the CPython Lib/ directory is not difficult, even though PyPy made
> slight modifications to the files, and even without any merge tool.

Pulling in a separate stdlib as a subrepo under the PyPy repo would certainly
make this whole process easier.

But you're right, if we track CPython's default branch (3.3) we can make many
if not all of the PyPy modifications upstream (until the 3.3rc1 code freeze)
instead of in PyPy's modified-3.x directory. Maintaining that modified-3.x dir
after every resync can be tedious.

--
Philip Jenvey