Am 18.01.2012 05:32, schrieb Terry Reedy:
> On 1/17/2012 6:42 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:29:11 -0500
>> Terry Reedy<tjre...@udel.edu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> To me, as I understand the proposal, the title is wrong. Our current
>>> feather releases already are long-term support versions. They get bugfix
>>> releases at close to 6 month intervals for 1 1/2 -2 years and security
>>> fixes for 3 years. The only change here is that you propose, for
>>> instance, a fixed 6-month interval and 2 year period.
>>>
>>> As I read this, you propose to introduce a new short-term (interim,
>>> preview) feature release along with each bugfix release. Each would have
>>> all the bugfixes plus a preview of the new features expected to be in
>>> the next long-term release. (I know, this is not exactly how you spun it.)
>
> The main point of my comment is that the new thing you are introducing
> is not long-term supported versions but short term unsupported versions.

That is really a matter of perspective.  For the proposed cycle, there
would be more regular version than LTS versions, so they are the exception
and get the special name.  (And at the same time, the name is already
established and people probably grasp instantly what it means.)

>> Well, "spinning" is important here. We are not proposing any "preview"
>> releases. These would have the same issue as alphas or betas: nobody
>
> I said nothing about quality. We aim to keep default in near-release
> condition and seem to be getting better. The new unicode is still
> getting polished a bit, it seems, after 3 months, but that is fairly
> unusual.
>
>> wants to install them where they could disrupt working applications and
>> libraries.
>>
>> What we are proposing are first-class releases that are as robust as
>> any other (and usable in production).
>
> But I am dubious that releases that are obsolete in 6 months and lack
> 3rd party support will see much production use.

Whether people would use the releases is probably something that only
they can tell us -- that's why a community survey is mentioned in the
PEP.

Not sure what you mean by lacking 3rd party support.

>> It's really about making feature releases more frequent,
>  > not making previews available during development.
>
> Given the difficulty of making a complete windows build, it would be
> nice to have one made available every 6 months, regardless of how it is
> labeled.
>
> I believe that some people will see and use good-for-6-months releases
> as previews of the new features that will be in the 'real', normal,
> bug-fix supported, long-term releases.

Maybe they will.  That's another thing that is made clear in the PEP:
for one group of people (those preferring stability over long time),
nothing much changes, except that the release period is a little longer,
and there are these "previews" as you call them.

Georg