On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:52:20 +0000
Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 January 2012 07:46, Georg Brandl <g.bra...@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> But I am dubious that releases that are obsolete in 6 months and lack
> >> 3rd party support will see much production use.
> >
> > Whether people would use the releases is probably something that only
> > they can tell us -- that's why a community survey is mentioned in the
> > PEP.
>
> The class of people who we need to consider carefully is those who
> want to use the latest release, but are limited by the need for other
> parties to release stuff that works with that release (usually, this
> means Windows binaries of extensions, or platform vendor packaged
> releases of modules/packages).

Well, do consider, though, that anyone not using third-party C
extensions under Windows (either Windows users that are content with
pure Python libs, or users of other platforms) won't have that problem.
That should be quite a lot of people already.

As for vendors, they have their own release management independent of
ours already, so this PEP wouldn't change anything for them.

Regards

Antoine.